Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/plusjamaqn/wakinglife/forum/include/common.php on line 58
Waking Life - Forum / s in two career games vs. New York. He had
Blog Forum

#1 2019-04-17 10:27:28

carrie567

s in two career games vs. New York. He had

MANCHESTER, England -- Manchester United confounded grim pre-game predictions by drawing 1-1 with Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal on Tuesday, with Bastian Schweinsteiger equalizing for the holders before being sent off. Floundering in the English Premier League, United has delivered better performances in Europe this season and stunned Bayern by taking the lead against the run of play through Nemanja Vidics header in the 58th minute. Bayern had dominated possession but struggled to create a clear-cut chance before Schweinsteiger arrowed a half-volley high into the net in the 67th to give the German side a slight advantage ahead of the second leg in Munich next week. "We score away, so its good," Bayern coach Pep Guardiola said. "Im happy with the result." Schweinsteiger blotted his performance by picking up a second yellow card in the 90th minute for a foul on Wayne Rooney and will miss the return match along with fellow midfielder Javi Martinez, who will also be suspended for an accumulation of bookings. Guardiola warned that talk of Uniteds demise was premature -- and the man who turned Barcelona into the best team in the world from 2008-12 has proved to be a good judge of football over the past few years. The English champions are languishing in seventh place in the Premier League amid a disastrous first year under new manager David Moyes, but they have an envious European pedigree and didnt buckle under constant pressure from Bayern. Defending stoutly -- with Vidic and right back Phil Jones particularly impressive -- United had 174 passes in the game compared to Bayerns 701 but actually created the better of the chances. Danny Welbeck will rue the moment he was sent clean through in the 40th, capitalizing on Jerome Boatengs defensive mistake, but fluffed a chip into the goalkeepers arms rather than going for a truer strike. Bayern played the prettier football, as expected, but United goalkeeper David de Gea barely had a shot to save before or after Schweinsteigers sweetly struck effort from Mario Mandzukics nod-down. "Tonights performance was more than youd hope for," Moyes said. "Hopefully tonight shows we will go there and go toe to toe with them. "Our best football has been in this competition and we will need to show our best football next week." The nights other quarterfinal first leg also finished 1-1, with Barcelona coming from a goal down to draw at home to Atletico Madrid. With Bayern having become Europes new powerhouse over the past two years and United without its main striker in Robin van Persie, many predicted the home-and-away series would be a blow-out. In the end, Bayern was somewhat fortunate to be leaving Manchester with its record of scoring in every match this season intact. Uniteds ambition was limited -- it had to be, given it hardly saw the ball -- but the teams desire and work rate couldnt be faulted. Moyes fielded a patched-up defence with Patrice Evra suspended and Rafael da Silva a late withdrawal but he got his tactics largely spot on, although United has probably never been dominated in possession at Old Trafford as much as it was in the first half. It was Bayerns attack vs. Uniteds defence, and Uniteds defence will feel it won the battle. "It is not easy when the opponent sets up so deep and closes down space," Munich winger Arjen Robben said. "After they took the lead, we should be happy to take a 1-1 home." There were times when the home fans fell deathly silent, perhaps mesmerized, as Bayerns bubbly midfield splayed the ball around in long periods of possession. But Moyes side kept its shape well, with Vidic delivering his best performance of an otherwise shaky season. He popped up at the other end to score Uniteds goal, too, the Serbian given the freedom of the penalty box to flick a header into the bottom corner from Rooneys left-wing corner. The lead didnt last long, though, as Rafinha sped by Robben on the overlap and crossed deep for substitute Mario Mandzukic, who headed the ball down for Schweinsteiger to sweep a half-volley into the top corner. The midfielder had already been booked for a foul on Michael Carrick when he brought down Rooney with seconds left of normal time. He protested, wagging his finger at Rooney and claiming the striker dived, but Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo had already brandished the yellow card. "I think coming into the tie most people had Bayern had the favourites," Moyes said, "and rightly so -- they are the European champions. But this club is used to big European nights and tonight they showed it." Wholesale MLB Jerseys . Following the Ford Womens World Curling Championship gold medal match that attracted record-breaking audiences to TSN, the networks exclusive live coverage of the tournament begins Saturday at 7am et/4am pt with Canadas opening draw against Denmark. Cheap MLB Jerseys Online . There was little fanfare, though, when the Yankees captain was taken out of his final regular-season Subway Series game in the eighth inning. Jeter watched the last four outs from the bench, pulled off the field during a double switch Thursday night as the Yankees held off the Mets 1-0. http://www.stitchedmlbjerseys.com/. Smiths former Atlanta teammates were glad to hang on for an ugly win. Cheap Pittsburgh Pirates Jerseys . The 42-ranked Czech saved seven break points while converting his one chance, and defeated the No. 3 seed in 1 hour 46 minutes. Rosol, who lost in the final in Stuttgart against Roberto Bautista Agut on Sunday, awaits the winner between Philipp Kohlschreiber or 2011 champion Gilles Simon. Cheap MLB Jerseys . - Novak Djokovic beat John Isner 7-5, 6-7 (2), 6-1 on Saturday to reach the final of the BNP Paribas Open, where hell resume his longtime rivalry with Roger Federer.UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- It was as if Matt Moulson never left the New York Islanders. He was scoring goals, hearing cheers and chants of his name at Nassau Coliseum, and waving his stick to the crowd after being chosen as the games No. 1 star. And none of the fans decked out in orange and blue seemed to mind a bit that he was doing major damage against the home team while wearing a Minnesota Wild sweater. In his first game as an Islanders opponent since being dealt, Moulson scored two goals and had three points in the Wilds 6-0 rout of New York on Tuesday night. "I was pretty nervous. I dont think I slept a minute during pregame nap," Moulson said. "I was here for a long time. This team had a big place in my heart when I was here. The fans give great support. It was pretty emotional." Ilya Bryzgalov made 16 of his 36 saves in the first period when the Wild took a 2-0 lead. Minnesota made the most of 22 shots on a night coach Mike Yeo switched up his lines. "It some ways, you feel a little bit bad. You dont want to sit there and run up the score. Thats not the intention there," Yeo said. "(Moulson) is a guy that is obviously very, very well respected here. You see what the crowd is doing in a game like that. I thought that was very classy." Frustration was also noticeable in the crowd that is fed up with general manager Garth Snow, who not only traded Moulson, but this month also dealt Thomas Vanek -- the key player acquired when Moulson was sent to Buffalo. Moulson, like Vanek an impending free agent, was traded by Buffalo to Minnesota this month. He scored the first of the Wilds two goals in the opening period and their third in the final frame. "Anytime a trade happens or something when you switch teams, you have something to prove," Moulson said. "I had a lot of family and friends here so I made sure I didnt embarrass them." Wild forward Zach Parise will have a similar experience Thursday when the former Devils star plays in New Jersey for the first time since leaving as a free agent. "Its a little different situation. He got traded and I didnt," Parise said with a laugh. "I dont know how its going to be when I get there." Jared Spurgeon, a sixthh-round pick of the Islanders in the 2008 draft, made it 2-0.dddddddddddd. Mikael Granlund pushed the lead to 3-0 in the second, defenceman Clayton Stoner scored his first goal of the season on a breakaway in the third, and Justin Fontaine was credited with a goal after a video review to make it 5-0. Mikko Koivu had three assists to move past Marian Gaborik for the most points in Wild history with 438. Moulson closed the scoring with a power-play goal with 3:26 left. It was his 20th of the season and third in seven games with Minnesota. "I think the trade was pretty tough on him," Islanders coach Jack Capuano said. "Ive seen him do what he did tonight many times." Bryzgalov earned his second shutout of the season and 32nd in the NHL. Anders Nilsson stopped 16 shots for New York, but couldnt match his fine performance of Saturday night when he beat Buffalo with a 33-save effort. Moulsons name was cheered when announced as part of the Wilds starting lineup, then he was feted with more applause when the Islanders thanked him on the video board. A louder roar went up when he scored his first goal 12:23 in. After his second, fans chanted "We want Moulson!" "I knew from playing against him here that he was a fan favourite," Parise said. "I dont think anyone expected the We Love Moulson cheers at the end, but it was nice to see him get a good reception." Spurgeon, a defenceman who never played for the Islanders, took a pass from Dany Heatley and one-timed a hard drive with 4:03 left in the first. Granlunds seventh of the season, gave the Wild a three-goal edge with 3:58 remaining in the second. Fontaines 13th goal zipped in and out of the net 7:06 into the third, but play continued for over a minute before a video review took place. Moulson and Koivu earned assists. NOTES: New York D Brian Strait broke his left hand while blocking a shot in the second period. ... Moulson, who began his NHL career with Los Angeles, has three goals in two career games vs. New York. He had 118 goals and 105 assists in 304 games with the Islanders. ... Islanders D Kevin Czuczman made his NHL debut. ... The Wild were whistled for penalties for the first time in three games. ' ' '

Pied de page des forums